Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Journey On Foot

As I walk to and from school every day (unless it rains), I'm beginning to see the little things in life that the usual busy person are blinded to. I reflected on a talk I attended in school this evening, 'What's a good film in the age of New Media?' by US Filmmakers Andrew Okpeana MacLean & Rashaad Ernesto Green. 'Like' this on Facebook. I would love to catch it one day.

Suddenly, something jumped near my feet. The small frog seemed to be as surprised as I was. Simultaneously, I stepped to my left as it hopped to its right. We then continued on our respective journeys. This reminded me of a similar incident this morning. I was walking along the long path at the highway, when a black butterfly flutters from my left and made a swift circle as it 'u-turns' out of my way. Sometimes I feel that animals/insects are more understanding than humans. After all, we are creatures of the earth.

When you're tired and stressed out in life, take a walk in the evening. The cool night zephyr, the darkness enveloping the surroundings, the sound of vehicles zooming past, rushing to nowhere. I feel a sense of superiority every time a vehicle slows down for me to cross. That said, I don't take my own sweet time crossing the road. To me, it's a sign of respect and gratitude for both the driver and the pedestrian when the former slows down and the latter speeds up his walking pace.

I also enjoy brushing the mimosas lightly with my shoe and watch as it slowly closes up, or stop and stare at the clovers, trying to spot a 'four-leaf' one on the way to school. I have considered making a film about 'the little joys in life' where it starts with a low-angle track of feet walking on a path. Maybe the path that I have become so familiar with.

You know, I think Filmaking was the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment